Congratulations to the 20 newly selected members of the 2022-2023 Leader Development Program Class, which will begin its year-long training this May. Financially supported by the SAME Foundation, this national program identifies and cultivates talent from within SAME’s membership to support the development of the next generation of military, government, and industry leaders and help meet the crucial leadership needs of the country and the profession.
Through a curriculum of hands-on training, study, and active engagement in new opportunities, participants will explore individual strengths and team dynamics, and grow personally and professionally. All individuals also will complete an independent or collaborative utilization project focused on a key need or interest-area of SAME and the A/E/C profession.
Read on to meet the new members of the 2022-2023 Leader Development Class and some fun facts about each of them!
2022-2023 Leader Development Program Class
Lt. Cdr. Steven Becker, P.E., USCG
Coast Guard Base Miami Beach
South Florida Post
- For our honeymoon, my wife and I took 20 days to ride our bicycles over 1,000 miles from Bar Harbor, ME, to Buffalo, NY.
- I’m an avid fan of boating and fishing, but not catching, on “C-Woof” our 1997 C-Dory Cruiser.
- A self-proclaimed Master Black Belt of the pour-over arts, I devote at least 10 minutes a day to my lifelong pursuit of crafting the perfect cup of coffee.
Chief Master Sgt. Adam Boubede, USAF
786th Civil Engineer Squadron
- I write a weekly Professional Development e-letter and have published a book as a co-author of #FIRESTARTERS
- I’m a diehard Saints Fan
- I’ve been a guest on 4 podcasts
Cameron Bowsky, P.E.
Matrix Design Group
Pikes Peak Post
- In the four months transition period after separating from active duty, and just before joining civil service and returning to Misawa AB, Japan, I made a living playing poker in Daytona Beach.
- I decided I wanted to be an engineer at the age of seven after receiving my first Lego set.
- Although calling Colorado home, I visit the Florida panhandle almost monthly to support local, regional, and state clients – which suits me because my mom currently lives in Florida.
Lt. Cdr. Jaison Eapen, USPHS
New Jersey Post
- I enjoy boxing and train four to six times a week. I plan to fight semi-professionally later in life.
- I have two polar opposite dogs: a highly energetic Goldendoodle and a laid-back American Bully. They keep me busy.
- I have never camped or lived outdoors, but I have aspirations to go on the TV show Survivor.
Josh Graham, P.E., CCM, PMP
San Antonio Post
- I’m the 101st President of the San Antonio Post.
- I was born and raised in the little village of Enon, Ohio. We had one stop light and maybe 2,000 people.
- I enjoy reading and learning about the Viking Age.
Smith Seckman Reid Inc.
- My wife Meghan and I have been married for seven years and we have two daughters, Elizabeth (4) and Emma (2).
- I graduated from the Naval Academy in 2011 and served in the Active-Duty Navy for 6 years. My favorite assignment in the Navy was serving as a Detail Officer in Charge on my Seabee Battalion’s deployment to the Pacific Command region.
- I grew up on a family farm that has been in my family for over 100 years. I have grown our farm operation since I got out of the Navy and have taken over responsibility of running the farm. I plan to use the proceeds that I make from the farm operation to purchase a portion of the farm from my family members who want to sell their portion so that I can keep the farm from being developed.
Jacob Hilton, P.E., PMP, LEED AP
Fort Bragg Post
- I enjoy homebrewing as a hobby. I have brewed more than 50 batches of beer in the last eight years, including brewing and bottling beer as our wedding guests’ favors.
- I love to travel. Some of the most interesting experiences I have had include seeing the Aurora Borealis in Iceland, visiting the Incan site of Machu Picchu, and sipping beer at the world’s oldest monastery brewery in Weltenburg, Germany.
- My twin sons are the fourth set of twins living at the same time in my wife’s extended family.
Capt. Mack Howell, P.E., USAR
Ball Maritime Group
- I was born in Switzerland and lived in Brazil when I was younger. I traveled extensively in Europe and South America growing up as a result.
- I cannot stand extra hot food or drinks, especially soup or coffee. I often ask for child temperature items and I am not ashamed of it.
- With the recent addition of twins to our family, we are now proud minivan owners and once again not ashamed of it.
Capt. Jenee Jagoda, USAF
28th Civil Engineer Squadron
- I love to travel and have visited 41 countries across 5 continents.
- I am a second-generation Air Force Civil Engineer and SAME Member.
- My hobbies include running, hiking, baking, photography, embroidery, and playing board games.
Black & Veatch Special Projects Corp.
Greater Kansas City Post
- I train and coach track & field.
- In college, I was a heptathlete, pole vaulter, and high jumper for the University’s track and field team.
- My other hobbies include trying new sports, crocheting, hiking, and being outdoors.
Virginia Peninsula Post
- I enjoy following the design team as they facilitate planning and programming sessions with clients. It is exciting to watch clients feel their project gaining momentum when they visualize it through the architect’s illustrations.
- I have seen both seasons of the TV reality show LEGO Masters (twice).
- I smiled inside when my 18 year-old son was amazed his Mom could teach him how to jump-start a car.
The Weitz Company
- I enjoy photography and spending time as a photographer.
- I enjoy spending time as an Audio Technician and DJ.
- I grew up in San Juan Islands, Washington, where I ran Track and was on the drag racing team.
Bluestone Environmental Group, Inc.
- I’m pretty handy with a sewing machine
- I’ve walked through a volcanic lava tube
- I’m a Harry Potter trivia champion
Orange County Post
- I am a painter and sell art professionally.
- I’m co-captain on an American Pool League team (billiards).
- I grew up on a sailboat on the space coast of Florida.
Maj. Victor Nelson, P.E., PMP, USA
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- I have four children ages 5 and younger, so my favorite hobbies now include pushing swings at the park, making mac n’ cheese, and changing diapers.
- I enjoy running and my unit team (the USACE Contingency Response Unit) won the Army Reserve category of the 2021 Army Ten Miler.
AFG Group, Inc.
Washington DC Post
- I’m a former Division I Softball Player and Assistant Coach … but currently known by my Tee Ball/Rookie Ball teams as the coach who brings silly props to practice.
- My sister is my best friend and we talk almost every day. We grew up in NJ, but both settled in VA and live 5 minutes away from each other. Our kids are best friends.
- I love “Behind the Scenes” on how things are made. Movies, shows, music, products, businesses, everything. Most things are interesting when you see what’s involved.
- I played soccer in Europe for 3 months when I was 14.
- I love true crime podcasts and listen to them every chance I get. Crime Junkies is my favorite.
- Every year, I make it my mission to win the neighborhood holiday light display…and I’m still waiting on my first win.
Jennifer Snape, P.E.
- I enjoy making and listening to music and play guitar, saxophone, clarinet, and I try to play plenty of other instruments!
- Along with my husband Josh, I enjoy camping, backpacking, traveling, and learning about the world.
- I’m passionate about history and enjoy doing historic research and genealogical research.
Capt. Andrew Storey, P.E., USA
U.S. Army Student Detachment
- I survived the Hawaiian missile threat of January 13, 2018
- I traveled FROM Hawaii to go on a surf trip
- I am an avid board game enthusiast
Maj. Brec Wilshusen, P.E., USAF (Ret.)
55th Civil Engineer Squadron
- I have been a military ambassador to a Pacific state’s governor.
- I’m told I am the king of silly songs and have led a Forrest Gump life.
- I am a goat herder.
Fostering Engineering Leadership
The SAME Leader Development Program is supported by the SAME Foundation, which underwrites the participation of the class participants as well as the overall program. Established in 2016, the SAME Foundation is committing to investing in programs that support its compelling purpose of “fostering engineering leadership for the nation.”
Participants in the Leader Development Program explore individual strengths and team dynamics and discover their potential personally and professionally through a curriculum of hands-on training, study, and active engagement in new opportunities. Participants also engage in group or individual projects that are intended to help an ongoing area of need or opportunity within SAME.
For additional information on the SAME Leader Development Program, visit www.same.org/ldp.
To learn more about the SAME Foundation or make a contribution to fostering engineering leadership for the nation, visit www.same.org/foundation.