Congratulations to the 18 newly selected members of the 2020-2021 SAME Leader Development Program. This national program is designed to identify and cultivate talent from within the Society to support the development of the next generation of military, government, and industry leaders and help meet the crucial leadership needs of the country, and the profession.
Developing leaders is a central component of the Society’s mission and the 2025 SAME Strategic Plan, which outlines in Goal 3: Develop Leaders for the Profession, that SAME will “lead efforts to enhance leadership development and cultivate talent necessary to address the nation’s grand challenges; ensure the enduring stewardship of the A/E/C profession. The Leader Development Program will play a leading role in the Society’s commitment to build leaders for our profession and our nation.
The 2020-2021 Leader Development Program class includes 18 participants, representing 16 of SAME’s regions as well as two individuals from the International Community of Interest. Members applied during fall 2019 through their Post President, with individuals being selected from each region by the Regional Vice President and from the International Community of Interest. Candidates were then reviewed and confirmed by representatives of the Academy of Fellows and the LDP Task Force.
2020-2021 LDP Participants
- Tasmin Brown, Stantec Consulting Services (California Region)
- Maj. Joshua Carroll, USAF, 8th Civil Engineer Squadron, Kunsan AB (International Committee)
- Agapito Diaz, P.E., AECOM (Pacific Region)
- Capt. Thomas Fakler, P.E., ARNG, Ulteig (Great Lakes Region)
- Summer Gladden, CF APMP LEED AP, Leebcor Services LLC (Middle Atlantic Region)
- Lt. Kristi Gordon, P.E., CEC, USN, Public Works Directorate, Naval Air Station Meridian (Lower Mississippi Region)
- Capt. Gregory Hege, USAF, 628th Civil Engineer Squadron, Joint Base Charleston (Carolina Region)
- Lt. Christopher Joseph, P.E., LEED AP, USNR, Stanley Consultants (TEXOMA Region)
- Lt. Aaron Kotlarz, P.E., CEC, USN, Commander, Fleet Activities Okinawa (International Committee)
- Jared Matthews, P.E., Merrick & Company (South Atlantic Region)
- Senior Master Sgt. Philip McAlpin Jr., USAF, 5th Civil Engineer Squadron, Minot AFB (Missouri River Region)
- Ree Miskimon, PRIME AE Group (North Atlantic Region)
- Capt. Arpan Patel, P.E., USAF, Air Force Civil Engineer Center (South Central Region)
- Vinnie Plocido, WSP (Ohio Valley Region)
- Bruce Preston, TSK Architects (Southwest Region)
- Lt. Kevin Remley, P.E., USPHS, Indian Health Service (Northwest Region)
- Colleen Rust, PG, PMP, Sundance Consulting Inc. (Rocky Mountain Region)
- Scott Turygan, P.E., PMP, U.S. Army Europe, G-34 Protection (European Region)
Fostering Engineering Leadership
The SAME Leader Development Program is supported by the SAME Foundation, which underwrites the participation of the class participants as well as the overall program. Established in 2016, the SAME Foundation is committing to investing in programs that support its compelling purpose of “fostering engineering leadership for the nation.”
Participants in the Leader Development Program explore individual strengths and team dynamics and discover their potential personally and professionally through a curriculum of hands-on training, study, and active engagement in new opportunities. Participants also engage in group or individual projects that are intended to help an ongoing area of need or opportunity within SAME. For instance, one of the projects that a member of the inaugural class has been undertakening is assessing a Virtual Post and how it would be valuable to deployed military members in particular. Another project ongoing is evaluating the requirements and steps needed to transition the LDP Task Force to a Leader Development Community of Interest for the entire Society.
The first SAME Leader Development Program class, which got underway at the 2019 JETC in Tampa, is set to graduate in May 2020. The inaugural class also featured 18 members—with representation from all SAME 17 regions and the International Community of Interest.
For additional information on the SAME Leader Development Program, visit www.same.org/ldp.
To learn more about the SAME Foundation, visit www.same.org/foundation.