At the 2022 JETC in Aurora, Colo., during the Society Ball & Awards Gala on May 12, SAME will honor this year’s national awards and medals recipients—celebrating the achievements of individuals and organizations for their excellence in architecture, engineering, leadership and for their support of the Society.
For a full description of each award and past recipients, visit www.same.org/awards.
SOCIETY OF AMERICAN MILITARY ENGINEERS
- Walter O. Bachus Gold Medal – For outstanding leadership and accomplishments in support of the SAME mission over one’s entire period of membership in the Society.
Jane Penny, P.E., F.SAME (Dist.)
- Gerald C. Brown Mentoring Award – For outstanding efforts and contributions in mentoring.
Capt. Jay Manik, P.E., F.SAME, USCG (Ret.), CDM Smith
- President’s Medal – For outstanding leadership and accomplishment in support of the SAME Strategic Plan during the President’s year of office.
Mike Huffstetler, LEED AP, F.SAME, DLR Group
Elaina Edwards, WSP
Debra Crafter, LEO A DALY
Sally Riker, F.SAME, Lowe Engineers Inc.
Lisa Cooley, Gordian
- Bliss Medal – For excellence in educating, mentoring, and motivating students in architecture, engineering, and related disciplines.
Lt. Col. Patrick Suermann, Ph.D., P.E., LEED AP, F.ASCE, USAF (Ret.), Texas A&M University
- Gibson Veteran Transition Medal – For outstanding support assisting veterans with their transition out of uniform.
Col. Donald Gleason, P.E., PMP, CEP, USAF (Ret.), Military Transition Roundtable
- Goethals Medal – For eminent and notable contributions in engineering, design, or construction.
Joseph Pado, P.E., Air Force Lifecyle Management Center
- Sverdrup Medal – For outstanding contributions to engineering, design, construction, research & development, or planning by a uniformed Young Professional member.
Capt. Gregory Hege, 628th Civil Engineer Squadron
- Tudor Medal – For outstanding contributions to engineering, design, construction, research & development, or planning by a civilian Young Professional member.
Erin Krug, P.E., LEED AP, USACE St. Paul District
- Paul R. Smith NCO Medal – For outstanding leadership and contributions to military engineering.
Tech Sgt. Kristopher Martin, USAF, 668th Alterations and Installations Squadron
- Young Professional Medal – For outstanding leadership and accomplishments in support of the SAME mission.
Agapito “Pete” Diaz, P.E., F.SAME, AECOM
- Student Leadership Medal – For outstanding leadership in an SAME Student Chapter.
Cadet Edward Jennings, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Post Service Medal – For significant and faithful service to SAME at the Post level.
Philios Angelides, P.E., F.SAME, The Angelides Group LLC
- Membership Recruitment Champion Award – For superior efforts in recruiting new members to the Society at the Post level.
Michele Torres, PMP, Health Facility Solutions Co.
- STEM Champion Award – For excellence and leadership in supporting STEM.
Brad Dybel, P.E., CEG, Applied GeoKinetics Inc.
- Industry-Government Engagement Award – For excellence in enhancing collaboration between industry and government.
Lee Ann Zelesnikar, iSoft Solutions
- Toulmin Medal – For most outstanding article in The Military Engineer by an SAME member(s).
JJ Tang, LEED AP, FAIA, F.SAME, HDR Inc.
Michael Doiel, AIA, HDR Inc.
Matthew Bird, P.E., PMP, USACE Northwestern Division
- JW Morris Sustaining Member Award – For eminent contributions to SAME by a Sustaining Member organization ((Large Business)
- Robert B. Flowers Small Business Award – For eminent contributions to SAME by a Sustaining Member organization (Small Business)
- Grand Design Award – For excellence in designing military/federal agency facilities or infrastructure by a Sustaining Member.
LEO A DALY – Minnesota National Guard Division Headquarters, Arden Hills Army Training Site
(Planning Design Studies)
AECOM – Madera Cyber Innovation Center, U.S. Air Force Academy
- Sturgis Medal – For outstanding contributions to military troop construction and/or base maintenance by demonstrated technical and leadership ability.
(Active) Staff Sgt. Christopher Miller, USA, Alpha Company, 169th Engineer Battalion, Engineer Divers, Panama City, Fla.
(Guard) Staff Sgt. Tracy Trabue, ARNG, 1138th Engineer Company, 1140th Engineer Battalion, Lexington, Mo.
- Itschner Award – For most outstanding Army engineering company.
(Active) Bravo Troop, Regimental Engineer Squadron, 2nd Cavalry Regiment Tower Barracks, Germany
(Reserves) 712th Engineer Support Company, 391st Engineer Battalion, Goose Creek, S.C.
(Guard) 130th Engineer Support Company, 201st Engineer Battalion, Madisonville, Ky.
- Moreell Medal – For outstanding contributions to military engineering.
Cdr. Nathan Hardy, P.E., CEC, USNR, OICC China Lake
- Shields Medal – For outstanding contributions to facility construction and/or maintenance.
Equipment Operator 1st Class Koby Bryant, USN, Naval Mobile Construction Battalion 4
- Toner Award – For outstanding contributions to military engineering by an active duty or reserve Civil Engineer Corps officer, O1 – O3.
Lt. Michael Stoller, P.E., CEM, CEC, USN, Public Works Department New Orleans
U.S. Air Force
- Goddard Medal – For outstanding contributions to military engineering, including troop construction, base maintenance, and contingency engineering.
Master Sgt. Andrew Thurman, USAF, 22nd Civil Engineer Squadron
- Newman Medal – For outstanding contributions to military engineering.
Charles Meshako, Air Force Installation & Mission Support Center – Detachment 4
- Curtin Award – For most outstanding Air Force engineering group or squadron.
(Large Unit) 86th Civil Engineer Group, Ramstein AB
(Small Unit) 19th Civil Engineer Squadron, Little Rock AFB
(Reserve) 136th Civil Engineer Squadron, Naval Air Station Fort Worth JRB
U.S. Coast Guard
- Oren Medal – For outstanding contributions to military engineering.
Lt. Erick Jackson, PMP, USCG, Civil Engineering Unit Oakland
- Sargent Medal – For outstanding contributions to civil or facilities engineering.
Valerie Lopez-Carrasquillo, Coast Guard Base San Juan
- Cowart Award – For most outstanding Coast Guard facilities engineering and civil engineering units.
(Civil Engineering) Civil Engineering Unit Cleveland
(Facility Engineering) Training Center Petaluma Facilities Engineering Department
U.S. Public Health Service
- Green Medal – For outstanding contributions to public health engineering and science by an officer, 0-3 or below, or civilian or equivalent grade.
Lt. Michelle Roy, P.E., USPHS, Indian Health Service
- Hollis Medal – For outstanding contributions to public health engineering and science.
Capt. Michael Young, P.E., USPHS, Indian Health Service
- Cumming Award – For most outstanding Public Health Service engineering or science organization.
Centers for Disease Control & Prevention COVID-19 Ventilation Team